Megan Wedding 2017

Megan Wedding 2017

Monday, October 14, 2019

My Mom is Home Free

My mom -

Rebecca “Becky” Wiley Payton, age 75, was welcomed by her loving Savior into her new home prepared for her on Sunday, October 6, 2019. She was a caring wife to Dr. Tyler Payton; a loving sister to Randy Byers; a wonderful mom to her sons Chris and Timothy (“T.”); a delightful Grammy to her grandchildren and great-grandchildren; and a good friend to so many. Services will be held Thursday, October 10, 2019, 11:00 a.m. at Del Norte Baptist Church, 5800 Montgomery Blvd NE. In lieu of flowers please send donations to CareNet Pregnancy Centers of Albuquerque - http://www.carenetabq.org/.
Obituary Photo

The following is the eulogy my brother and I wrote, which I read at the funeral.

Rebecca ("Becky") Wiley Payton was born on February 1, 1944 in New Orleans, Louisiana. She was predeceased by her father and mother, James Robert in 1982 and Ruth Benge in 2009. Becky grew up in New Orleans and was an excellent student and graduated from East Jefferson High School in 1961 and began attending Louisiana State University in New Orleans pursuing a degree in Nursing (started out premed). She met her husband, Tyler Payton, in 1963 while she was speaking at the Baptist Student Union as he was also in New Orleans attending Tulane Medical School. They dated for 18 months and they were married May 1965; they then spent the summer in Denver with my dad working and my mom learning to cook (my dad mentions she would make huge meals). A year later she graduated from LSU and they moved to Denver (my dad working as an intern at a hospital and my mom working as a nurse in a different hospital). They moved to Gallup, New Mexico where she had two children. The family moved to Albuquerque in 1969.

In Albuquerque, the family attended Heights Baptist Church, Hoffmantown Baptist Church, and then she later attended here at Del Norte Baptist Church. Becky never simply attended church, but served in the churches where she was a member. She was active in the choir in all churches she attended singing beautifully - using the God given talents she had. She played the piano and sang solos in college. She even sang a solo in the morning of her wedding - getting married later that afternoon on that Sunday. At Heights, she played the piano and later the organ when they had a need (I remember that transition and my mom really struggled getting the organ down but she was determined and played it beautifully). Growing up in church she was involved in WMU (Women's Missionary Union). At Hoffmantown, she was involved with the international ministry. I think my mom simply loved learning about other places God’s love was at work and the Holy Spirit was working in people’s lives. Most recently she taught Sunday School at Del Norte. She carefully prepared her lessons, adding visual aids. It never mattered the size of the group she was speaking to; it was never about that, it was simply an opportunity to present God’s truth to you and be with you. She always made you feel important and valued and appreciated.

Becky loved to read, study and savor God’s Word. She had such a special relationship with God. There are no clean sections in my mom’s Bible. Every page has underlines and notes to the side. My mom and God were united. She delighted in His wonderful promises and marveled at the grace that was granted to her through Jesus. We all love the time we have to spend with her, but it all pales in comparison to the time that she spent with God. In all of life's circumstances, she kept the Word of God close to her. She would constantly write God’s word on notecards. We’ve had several times in the hospital the last 11 years and every time I would be with her she would be reading through 3x5 cards she had written verses or reading Psalms to encourage her.

Becky was a talented artist and enjoyed painting and drawing, and shared that love with her sons. She loved to sew, making everything from draperies, bathhouse, cushions, to one of a kind halloween costumes. She even made her own wedding and “going away” outfit. She loved to take her handwriting and create artwork that accentuated the promises of God in, scripture, many of which adorned not only her home but her son’s homes as well.

She delighted in animals and loved to collect animal photography. Adorable photos of seals, prairie dogs, otters and birds surrounded her home. Her beloved dogs over the years — Girl, Moose, Squigg, Bear and Tess — were pampered and treated just like the humans in the family. In all of these animals she is enjoying God’s creation more. She enjoyed celebrating God’s creativity in the wild birds to whom she enjoyed feeding and even affectionally looked forward to seeing a wild mouse scurry outside her kitchen window.

She loved her family. She lovingly prepared southern food that not only tasted good but was visually pleasing -- fitting of her artistic talent. She modeled a God dependent life by arising early every morning and bowing before her Creator to adore Him and lift up her families needs in prayer. She shared her love of music with her family — giving them a love of hymns which she played and sang at her piano. She loved to sing. I can’t remember ever standing with my mom in church and singing a hymn and her having to look at the hymnal or words on the screen. She knew every song by heart. Again, these weren’t just songs, they were words sung to God the Savior. She loved to lift up her voice to him. I admit that I was sometimes startled by my mom’s voice but it was beautiful and clear. She took voice lessons in Albuquerque and even sang in a trio during the 70s. At Heights Baptist she sang in the choir, including having the lead in musical productions. When she was playing the organ, she would spend hours practicing an offertory song that would last 3 minutes to our ears.

She loved being with other ladies in fellowship and study. She had the same two close friends from junior high to today and spoke of them - simply enjoying life with them at every turn. She also often mentioned here Sisters in Scriptures. She was constantly asking me what she can pray about in my life and her and her friends would be praying for all of us in her family. I want you to know that many of you have reached out to send her a card or word; to my mom those are not simply cards, but trophies to her and she proudly displayed them all around her and the house.

Look - It’s so hard to not just be up here forever talking about her and all the wonderful things she did for me. She was so beautiful inside and out. I guess you don’t think of your mom as a beauty as she is just mom to you. My roommates in college told me that my mom was really pretty. Just 3 or 4 years ago I introduced her to one of my coworkers at work and he said - your mom is a very pretty lady. I’m convinced. Her joy was captivating.

My mom loved music and I loved listening to Music. Two times there were artists that were playing at a dance club and bar in town called Graham Central Station when I was in high school. I wanted to see these artists. One was Kerry Livgren who had just left the group Kansas to form a Christian rock band after he turned his life over to Christ and then a band called Stryper which was more like a metal rock band. I could only go to these concerts if someone over 21 took me. Once my mom found this out she said she would take me. Each time leaving the concert my mom would say - I enjoyed that. I’m glad I got to go with you.

In college I was dating a girl my freshman and sophomore years and I guess we were getting serious. My mom sent me a book called Love for a Lifetime and said this would be good for the two of you to go through. So we sat down and started reading it together. There was a question really quick into the book that said - how often will you visit your respective parents after you are married - this girl I was dating said - well we could visit your folks maybe once a year - she said the state you live in is all brown and I’m not sure about your parents. I thought - not be with my parents - my mom - and I immediately broke up with her - and 2 years later God provided me my Mom - in the person of Pamela - beautiful and so wonderful to talk to and be with. Thank you Mom.

She leaves behind her husband, Tyler West Payton, and her two sons, Chris Payton (wife Pamela) of Albuquerque and T Payton (wife Brooke) of Albuquerque, and her sister, Randy Byers of Owasso, Oklahoma. She also leaves behind six grandchildren: Tyson Payton, Jordy Payton (wife Allison), Megan Sykes (husband Brandon), Noah Payton (wife Ella), Derek Payton, and Andrew Payton; and 2 great grand-children, Charlie Ann Payton and Calihan Payton.

As you can tell my mom loved God and loved life and loved people. In lieu of flowers my brothers wife Brooke made this most fitting recommendation so please make a donation in her honor to Care Net Pregnancy Center of Albuquerque - http://www.carenetabq.org/

1 comment:

ElLois said...

Hi,
I cannot remember how I happened to stumble upon your blogger.  Something you wrote made me look into your blog further & discovered the post"My mom is Home Free."  I also noted Del Norte Bapt Chruch. (I know of this church name in Del Norte CO)

You wrote: There are no clean sections in my mom’s Bible. Every page has underlines and notes to the side. My mom and God were united. She delighted in His wonderful promises and marveled at the grace that was granted to her through Jesus.  .... She modeled a God dependent life  
Thank you for this tribute to your mum.  My mum is Home Free as well.

I had to laugh at the Stryper & Kerry Livgren concerts.  We must be about the same age. My mum would never have gone.  lol  But I did see/hear both later ...   no permission required.

I've been doing some research on blogging again.  I use a handwritten journal now & sometimes when I want to write a longer quote or use a photo from the internet, I have no capacity to replicate it in my handwritten journal.  

The contents of your blogging . . . am not sure who does the actual blogging . . .but it is well written, thoughtful, & I think, in my humble opinion, needs to be generated to social media so they can read it.  I found all 3 sections most beneficial.

I follow several bloggers who I follow on social media, esp twitter & instagram. Maybe you are already there?  
With much appreciation for your endless and sacred writing.

ElLois